1.4.09

nylon mag goes digital

A while back I subscribed to NYLON magazine for free through a deal with Urban Outfitters. I really like their content; it reminds me of a younger W. So imagine my delight when I discover the April issue waiting for me not in my mailbox, but in my inbox.

Here's why Don Hellinger, NYLON President, made the decision to go digital:
  • No more waiting for your new issues to come in the mail. We will email each new issue of NYLON to you the day our editors sign off on it! And yes, the digital edition has all the content of the paper version; plus you can easily click, save, and print out the photos -- or share them with friends online.
  • No more lost issues. Ever had a magazine misplaced by the post office? Chewed up by the dog? Borrowed by your BFF? No problem – each digital edition in your NYLON subscription is always available to you, on our website or your computer!
  • No more paper. Looking for ways to reduce your carbon footprint? You have found one – enjoying NYLON Magazine on your screen instead of on paper! You’ll have less to throw out too.
Fabulous. But what if I decide I miss the paper version? Simply give customer service a call and they'll hook you up.

So far I'm in love with the digital version. Okay, it takes a little more time and effort to read, but I like the greenness of it all. The cherry on top: story teasers are clickable, so say if I wanted to read the 'Party like it's 1999!' cover story, I mouse over it to see the page number - and clicking on it takes me directly to that article.

The ads are still there so the advertisers win, and I personally think they look better on-screen. I'm sure Nylon saves a ton of money, too - on shipping, printing, etc. What a perfect solution for the environment and the recession! (Vogue: are you listening?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

what's your opinion?