3.1.09

h is for helvetica

I came across this amazing Helvetica-font alphabet shirt from American Apparel in September and, after pining for several weeks, finally ordered it in the 'Cc' version. I'm a closeted font freak and I love me some Helvetica - let me tell you, when I stumbled across this new addition to the AA site I literally squealed out loud. Like a five year-old at Christmas. With a pony in the living room.

When I wear my shirt out and about, around 99% of people don't get it. I'm asked about it all the time. And they still don't understand.

But for those who do, it's like a secret underground cult. And, as with all things AA, the shirt will magically shrink after washing to the size you were hoping it'd be.

There's also a feature-length 2007 indie film about Helvetica that coincided with the font's 50th birthday. It premiered at SXSW, which bums me out even more because I live in Austin. Sigh. Here's a synopsis:
Helvetica is a feature-length independent film about typography, graphic design and global visual culture. It looks at the proliferation of one typeface...as part of a larger conversation about the way type affects our lives. The film is an exploration of urban spaces in major cities and the type that inhabits them, and a fluid discussion with renowned designers about their work, the creative process, and the choices and aesthetics behind their use of type.
I've seen bits and pieces but still need to rent/buy the DVD. Thankfully, iTunes (after my pleading e-mail to them, thank you very much!) now carries the documentary flick. I know what I'll be spending part of my iTunes gift card on...

Let's watch the trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

what's your opinion?